top of page
Image by Touann Gatouillat Vergos

Permanent Residence as a federal skilled worker

Permanent Residence in Canada refers to the immigration status granted to individuals who are not Canadian citizens but have been authorized to live and work in the country indefinitely. Those with permanent residence status, also known as PRs, enjoy many rights and benefits, including access to healthcare, education, and social services.

Permanent Residence through Skilled Immigration 

Apply to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry System

Economic immigration can be classified into two processing streams - SKILLED WORKER & BUSINESS IMMIGRATION


Immigrate to Canada as a SKILLED WORKER


Apply for permanent residence through Express Entry (an electronic application management system (should not be confused as a category)) to be selected as a skilled worker to immigrate to Canada in the following classes: 



  1. Federal Skilled Worker

  2. Federal Skilled Trades

  3. Canadian Experience Class

  4. Provincial Nomination Program



It is a completely electronic point based selection process. 


How does the Express Entry system work?


  1. Assess your eligibility to apply

  2. Collect relevant documents such as Language Test results, Education, Employment documents etc.

  3. Calculate your score using the CRS or the Point Based system and submit your profile

  4. Get an invitation to apply and submit your application with in 60 days of receiving the invitation.

Permanent Residence through Federal Skilled Worker Program

Apply to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry System

FSW- effectively one of the most popular immigration programs in Canada enabling thousands of foreign nationals to apply for permanent residence each year. Federal Skilled Worker program applications are assessed based on an applicant’s ability to become economically established upon immigration to Canada.

FSW Minimum Requirements

  • Pass a minimum threshold of language ability for one of Canada’s two official languages (English/French) - CLB 7 in all four skills(speaking, reading, writing and listening). 

  • Have completed Canadian Secondary or Post Secondary degree from a DLI, or have completed an equivalent foreign credential and an ECA.

  • A candidate must have at least 1 year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation (National Occupational Classification skill lever 0, A or B); or

  • Qualify for Arranged Employment with a Labour Market Impact Assessment(LMIA) and a full-time, permanent job offer from a Canadian employer; 

  • In addition, Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants must attain at least 67 points based on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC) immigration selection factors.

  • Proof of funds for applicant and accompanying family.

Permanent Residence through Canadian Experience Class 

Apply to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry System

This program gives you an opportunity to qualify for Canadian permanent residence based on their Canadian work experience. The CEC is another class that helps Temporary Foreign Workers and International Students (post-secondary) who have worked in Canada for at least 12 months as full-time or 24 months as part time, have an advantage of having already settled into the Canadian society, have established important networks, gained necessary Canadian experience and are recognized in their communities to transition into Permanent Residents.

CEC Minimum Requirements

  • Have at least 1 year (non-continuous allowed) of full-time or 2 years of part-time paid work experience in NOC 0, A or B within the 3 years before applying,

  • Have gained work experience in Canada (after graduation in case of students) with proper authorization.

  • Proof of language proficiency through an approved test, based on the NOC (National Occupational Classification) code of your job. Demonstrate CLB level 7 (NOC 0,A)  or CLB level 5 (NOC B) in the English language.

  • No need to prove settlement funds.

  • Plan to live outside Quebec.

Permanent Residence through Federal Skilled Trades Program

Application through Express Entry

This program gives you an opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residence based on being qualified in a skilled trade. 

FST Minimum Requirements


  • Meet required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),

  • Have at least 2 years of full-time paid work experience (or equivalent part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within 5 years before applying,

  • Meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a provincial certificate of qualification.

  • Have an offer (LMIA approved) of full-time employment from uptown 2 employer for at least 1 year OR a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

  • Skilled work experience - does not need to be continuous and must be acquired after obtaining the correspondent qualification to perform that job.

  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. 





  • You don’t have to meet any requirements in terms of education, but it might be a good idea to complete an assessment of your credentials by an eligible assessment authority like World Education Services.

Express Entry Program Comparison - Immergity Immigration Consultant.png
bottom of page