top of page
Study in Canada

Study in Canada: Your Gateway to World-Class Education

A "Study Permit" in Canada is an official document issued by the Canadian government, allowing foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. While it is not a visa, it often accompanies a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to facilitate entry into the country.

Canadian Universities and Programs


Canada, known for its scenic beauty and welcoming culture, is also home to some of the world's leading educational institutions. This guide is designed to introduce you to the Canadian university system, highlighting key universities and their notable programs.


Overview of Canadian Higher Education


Canada has both public and private universities. Most universities are publicly funded, and they offer a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Canadian universities are recognized globally for their research and academic excellence.


Key Canadian Universities

1. University of Toronto (UofT)

  • Location: Toronto, Ontario

  • Notable Programs:

    • Rotman School of Management

    • Faculty of Law

    • Engineering

    • Life Sciences

  • Key Fact: UofT frequently ranks as the top university in Canada and is well-regarded worldwide, especially for its research contributions.


2. University of British Columbia (UBC)

  • Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

  • Notable Programs:

    • Sauder School of Business

    • Earth and Ocean Sciences

    • Medicine

  • Key Fact: UBC's Vancouver campus boasts a stunning ocean-side location, making it one of the most beautiful campuses globally.


3. McGill University

  • Location: Montreal, Quebec

  • Notable Programs:

    • Medicine

    • Arts and Humanities

    • Desautels Faculty of Management

  • Key Fact: Located in the bilingual city of Montreal, McGill offers a unique blend of English and French culture.


4. University of Alberta

  • Location: Edmonton, Alberta

  • Notable Programs:

    • Petroleum Engineering

    • Environmental Science

    • Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences

  • Key Fact: UofA is a leader in research, particularly in energy and natural resources.


5. University of Waterloo

  • Location: Waterloo, Ontario

  • Notable Programs:

    • Co-operative Education

    • Computer Science

    • Engineering

  • Key Fact: Known for its co-op programs, students at Waterloo often graduate with up to two years of work experience.


Admissions Process


Admission requirements vary among universities and programs. Typically, universities assess:

  1. Academic Performance: High school grades or previous university performance.

  2. Standardized Test Scores: Some programs may require tests like the GMAT or GRE.

  3. Letters of Recommendation: Usually from academic or professional sources.

  4. Statement of Purpose: Detailing your academic and career goals.

  5. Additional Materials: Such as portfolios for design programs.

International students might also need to provide proof of English proficiency through tests like IELTS.

Tuition and Financial Aid


Tuition fees vary widely based on the university, program, and whether you are a domestic or international student. Typically, international students pay higher tuition than domestic students. However, many universities offer scholarships, bursaries, and other forms of financial aid for both domestic and international students.

Benefits of Studying in Canada

Studying in Canada comes with a plethora of benefits, making it one of the top destinations for international students worldwide.

High-quality education:

Canadian degrees are widely recognized for their high quality and are respected around the world. Canadian institutions consistently rank high in international rankings, and Canadian universities and colleges offer a wide range of programs and a diverse range of study options.

Multicultural environment:

Canada is known for its diversity and inclusivity. Students from all over the world come to study in Canada, creating a rich multicultural environment where everyone is welcomed and accepted. This diversity also extends beyond the campus, as Canada's cities are home to numerous cultural communities.

Opportunities for work and immigration:

Canada offers work opportunities to students both during and after their studies. Students can work on-campus or off-campus without a work permit, and after graduation, they may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). Moreover, studying in Canada can also open doors to permanent residency and Canadian citizenship.

Study Permit for Canada: Application Process and Requirements


What is a Study Permit?

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows foreign nationals to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. It's crucial to note that a study permit is not a visa, so it doesn't let you enter Canada. Depending on your country of origin, you might also need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Eligibility Requirements

Before applying, ensure you meet the following requirements:

  1. Proof of Acceptance: You need a letter of acceptance from a DLI.

  2. Proof of Financial Support: Demonstrate that you can pay for:

    • Tuition fees

    • Living expenses for yourself and any accompanying family members

    • Return transportation for yourself and any family members

  3. No Criminal Record: Provide a police certificate if required.

  4. Health Check: Undergo a medical examination if necessary.

  5. Statement of Purpose (SOP): Outline why you want to study in Canada.


Application Process


1. Gather Documentation

Prepare the following documents:

  • Letter of Acceptance: From a DLI.

  • Passport: Must be valid for the entire duration of your study.

  • Proof of Funds: Bank statements, financial guarantees, or scholarship details.

  • Passport-sized photographs: According to specifications.

  • Immigration Medical Examination (IME) results: If applicable.

  • Police Clearance Certificate: If required.

  • Statement of Purpose (SOP): A letter explaining your study objectives.

  • Custodian declaration (if applicable): For minors studying in Canada.


2. Fill Out the Application

Use the IMM 1294 form, which is the official application for a study permit. Ensure you answer every question accurately to avoid delays or rejections.


3. Pay the Application Fee

There's a fee for applying for a study permit, and it's subject to change. As of the last update, the fee was CAD 150. Payment is usually online.


4. Submit Your Application

You can apply online or through a Visa Application Center (VAC) in your country. Online applications tend to be faster, but paper applications can be used if you don't have digital copies of your documents.


5. Wait for a Decision

IRCC will review your application and may request additional information or documents. They might also ask you to attend an interview at your local consulate or embassy.


6. Receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction

Once approved, you'll receive this letter. Keep it with you; you'll need to show it to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada.


7. Get a Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If required based on your nationality, this will be issued alongside your POE Letter. It's crucial for entering Canada.


Tips for a Successful Application

  1. Apply Early: Processing times vary but can take several months.

  2. Be Transparent: Always provide accurate and consistent information.

  3. Stay Organized: Keep copies of all documents and correspondence.

Cost of Studying in Canada: Tuition Fees, Living Expenses, and Scholarships


Studying in Canada offers a unique blend of world-class education, multicultural exposure, and a safe and friendly environment. However, international students often grapple with the cost associated with such an experience. 


Tuition Fees in Canadian Universities

Tuition fees vary considerably based on the program, level of study, and institution.


1. Undergraduate Programs

  • Average Tuition (Arts & Humanities): CAD 20,000 to CAD 30,000 per year.

  • Average Tuition (Engineering & Sciences): CAD 25,000 to CAD 40,000 per year.


2. Postgraduate Programs

  • Average Tuition (Arts & Humanities): CAD 15,000 to CAD 30,000 per year.

  • Average Tuition (MBA & Specialized Programs): CAD 30,000 to CAD 50,000 per year.


Bear in mind that these are average figures; top-tier institutions might have higher fees. It's also worth noting that international students typically pay significantly higher tuition than domestic students.


Living Expenses

Living expenses in Canada can vary depending on your location, lifestyle, and spending habits. Here's a breakdown of the average monthly costs:


1. Accommodation

  • On-Campus Residence: CAD 500 to CAD 1,000

  • Off-Campus (Shared Apartment): CAD 400 to CAD 800

  • Off-Campus (Single Apartment): CAD 700 to CAD 1,500


2. Food and Groceries

  • Monthly Estimate: CAD 200 to CAD 350


3. Transportation

  • Public Transit Pass: CAD 80 to CAD 120 (Varies by city and student discounts available)


4. Other Expenses (Books, Entertainment, Personal Care)

  • Monthly Estimate: CAD 150 to CAD 300


Adding everything, an international student's average monthly expenses (excluding tuition) could range from CAD 900 to CAD 2,700.


Scholarships for International Students

Canada offers numerous scholarships to attract and support international students. Some notable ones include:


1. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships

  • Value: CAD 50,000 per year for three years

  • Eligibility: Doctoral students


2. University of Waterloo International Master’s and Doctoral Awards

  • Value: Varies

  • Eligibility: Master's and doctoral students


3. University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships

  • Value: CAD 14,000 (Master’s) and CAD 18,000 (Ph.D.)

  • Eligibility: Graduate students


4. Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships

  • Value: Up to CAD 60,000 per year

  • Eligibility: Doctoral students in humanities and social sciences


Many universities also offer institution-specific scholarships based on academic excellence, leadership qualities, and extracurricular achievements. Research each university's scholarship page for more tailored information.

Language Test to Study in Canada


When considering studying in Canada, one of the vital steps international students must undertake is demonstrating proficiency in either English or French, the two official languages of Canada. 

Why is a Language Test Required?


Canada prides itself on the quality of its education, and to ensure that international students can participate actively and benefit fully from their chosen programs, they must demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively in either English or French. This proficiency ensures students can grasp course materials, participate in discussions, and integrate seamlessly into the Canadian academic community.


English Language Tests


Given that a large portion of Canadian institutions offer courses primarily in English, here are the main English language proficiency tests recognized:


1. IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

  • Types: IELTS Academic for higher education and IELTS General Training for vocational training or migration.

  • Format: Evaluates listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills.

  • Score Range: 0 to 9.

  • Validity: 2 years.


2. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

  • Types: TOEFL iBT (Internet-based) and TOEFL PBT (Paper-based, less common).

  • Format: Assesses reading, listening, speaking, and writing.

  • Score Range: 0 to 120 for iBT.

  • Validity: 2 years.


3. CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language)

  • Types: CAEL CE (Computer Edition) and CAEL PBT (Paper-based Test).

  • Format: Designed specifically for the Canadian context, it assesses speaking, reading, writing, and listening.

  • Score Range: 10 to 90.

  • Validity: 2 years.


4. PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic)

  • Format: Evaluates reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

  • Score Range: 10 to 90.

  • Validity: 2 years.


French Language Tests


For programs taught in French or for students aiming to study in Quebec, demonstrating French proficiency is crucial. Some of the accepted tests include:

1. TEF (Test d'Évaluation de Français)

  • Format: Assesses reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.

  • Score Range: 0 to 900+.

  • Validity: 2 years.

2. TCF (Test de Connaissance du Français)

  • Format: Evaluates reading, writing, listening, and speaking capabilities.

  • Score Range: A1 (beginner) to C2 (advanced) based on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) scale.

  • Validity: 2 years.

3. DALF (Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française) and DELF (Diplôme d'Études en Langue Française)

  • Format: These are diplomas issued by the French Ministry of Education to prove French-language skills.

  • Levels: Six independent diplomas corresponding to the six CEFR levels.


How to Prepare for the Test

  1. Understand the Test Format: Familiarize yourself with the test structure, types of questions, and duration.

  2. Practice with Sample Papers: Use official sample tests or papers to practice.

  3. Engage in Language Activities: Reading books, watching movies, or conversing with native speakers can enhance language skills.

  4. Join a Prep Course: Many institutions offer preparation courses for these tests.

  5. Stay Updated: Test formats or scoring can change. Always refer to the official website of the testing service for the most recent information.

Passing the required language test is a crucial step for any international student aiming to study in Canada. Understanding the nuances of each test, preparing effectively, and choosing the right test aligned with your chosen institution's requirements can pave the way for a smooth academic journey in Canada.

Canadian Student Visa Interview: Tips and Preparation


Applying for a Canadian study permit often includes an interview. While the process may seem daunting, with the right preparation, you can approach it with confidence. 


Understanding the Purpose of the Interview


The interview essentially assesses:

  1. Your Intentions: To confirm that you genuinely intend to study in Canada and will return to your home country upon completion of your studies.

  2. Financial Stability: To ensure you can financially support yourself during your stay.

  3. Adherence to Regulations: To check your understanding of the conditions of the student visa.

Preparing Documentation


Have all your essential documents organized and readily available. Key documents include:

  1. Passport

  2. Acceptance Letter: From a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.

  3. Proof of Funds: Bank statements, scholarship letters, or financial guarantees.

  4. Academic Transcripts and Diplomas: From schools you attended.

  5. Ties to Home Country: Any evidence that you will return, like property deeds or a job offer.

  6. Study Plan: A brief explanation of why you chose to study in Canada and your future career plans.


Common Interview Questions


While each interview may differ, some common questions include:

  1. Why did you choose Canada?

  2. Why did you choose this specific institution and course?

  3. How do your studies in Canada align with your future career goals?

  4. How will you finance your education and stay in Canada?

  5. Do you have relatives or friends in Canada?

  6. What are your plans after completing your studies?


Prepare concise and honest answers for these questions.


Tips for a Successful Interview

  1. Dress Professionally: First impressions matter. Dress as you would for a job interview.

  2. Be Punctual: Arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled interview time.

  3. Listen Carefully: Understand the question before answering. If in doubt, politely ask the interviewer to rephrase or repeat.

  4. Speak Clearly: Talk in a clear and confident manner. Remember to keep your answers concise.

  5. Honesty is Key: Always provide truthful answers. Avoid the temptation to embellish.

  6. Practice Good Body Language: Maintain eye contact, offer a firm handshake, and avoid fidgeting.

  7. Be Prepared to Discuss Your Future Plans: Be clear about how studying in Canada fits into your long-term career and life goals.

  8. Ask Questions: At the end of the interview, you'll likely have an opportunity to ask questions. This can show your eagerness and preparation.

The Canadian student visa interview is a pivotal step in your journey to studying in Canada. With thorough preparation, understanding of the process, and genuine intentions, you'll be well-equipped to make a positive impression. The interview is as much an opportunity for you to showcase your passion for your chosen field of study as it is a procedural necessity.

Work Opportunities for International Students in Canada


Canada's world-class education system and welcoming culture have made it a top choice for international students. Beyond academics, one of the compelling draws is the promise of work opportunities during and after studies. This guide delves into the work options available to international students in Canada.


On-Campus Work

As an international student, you can work on your university or college campus without a work permit if:

  1. You are a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution or a private institution authorized to confer degrees.

  2. You have a valid study permit.

  3. You have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).


Hours: There’s no limit to the number of hours you can work on-campus.

Types of Jobs: On-campus jobs vary from research assistant positions, roles in student organizations, administrative roles, to roles in campus cafes or bookstores.

Off-Campus Work


International students can also work off-campus without a separate work permit, but there are restrictions:

  1. Eligibility: You must be a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI), have started your program, and have a valid study permit that explicitly mentions your eligibility to work off-campus.

  2. Hours: During regular school terms, you can work up to 20 hours per week. During scheduled breaks (like summer or winter breaks), you can work full-time.

  3. Types of Jobs: You can work in any job, but the role should not exceed the allowed hours.


Co-op and Internships


Many Canadian programs incorporate co-op or internships as part of the curriculum. To participate:

  1. Work Permit: You'll need a co-op or intern work permit, in addition to your study permit.

  2. Eligibility: The co-op or internship must be mandatory for your course, not exceeding 50% of the total program of study.


Post-Graduation Work Opportunities


Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

After completing your studies, you may want to stay in Canada to gain more work experience. The PGWP allows students who have completed a program of 8 months or longer at a DLI to work in Canada for up to three years after graduation.



  • Duration: The work permit's duration depends on the length of your study program.

    • 8 months to 2 years program: Work permit for a duration similar to your program's length.

    • 2 years or more program: Work permit for 3 years.

  • Flexibility: PGWP is an open work permit, allowing you to work for any employer in Canada and change jobs whenever you like.

  • Pathway to Permanent Residency: Gaining Canadian work experience through the PGWP can benefit your application for permanent residency, especially through programs like the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).


Tips for Job Hunting in Canada

  1. Networking: Join student organizations, attend networking events, and utilize university resources to make professional connections.

  2. Canadian-style Resume: Adapt your resume and cover letter to Canadian norms. Typically, Canadian resumes are concise, clear, and tailored to the specific job.

  3. Online Platforms: Websites like Indeed, Workopolis, and the Government of Canada's Job Bank can be valuable resources.

Temporary Public Policy for Off-Campus Work by Study Permit Holders - 2023

The Canadian government has introduced a temporary public policy to address the labor shortages across the country by allowing eligible study permit holders to work off-campus without a work permit for more than 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions. This policy aims to fill labor market needs and provide international students with the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in Canada, support economic growth, and help students defray the costs of their studies.

Key Details:

  1. Background: The policy acknowledges the labor shortages in Canada, estimated to be as high as 1 million positions. By allowing international students to work more than 20 hours per week during academic sessions, the government aims to temporarily address these labor market needs.

  2. Eligibility: The policy is applicable to full-time students in Canada who either hold a study permit or have applied to renew their study permit and are authorized to study under section 189 of the Regulations. To be eligible, the study permit application must have been received by IRCC on or before October 7, 2022.

  3. Scope: The policy also includes international students pursuing co-op placements and internships. Hours worked in excess of 20 hours per week would be authorized, ensuring that it does not negatively impact the student’s eligibility for subsequent immigration applications.

  4. Effective Date and Expiration: The policy is effective from November 15, 2022, and will expire on December 31, 2023. After the expiration or revocation of this policy, students will be subject to the limitation of not working more than 20 hours per week off-campus without a work permit during regular academic sessions.


  1. The introduction of this temporary public policy highlights the government's proactive approach to addressing labor shortages by leveraging the skills and capabilities of international students.

  2. By providing international students with more work opportunities, Canada is not only addressing labor market challenges but also enhancing the overall student experience in the country.

  3. The policy's time-bound nature emphasizes the urgency to act and provide solutions for labor market challenges while ensuring the well-being and opportunities for international students.

Living in Canada as an International Student: Accommodation, Transportation, and Culture


Embracing the life of an international student in Canada is a blend of academic pursuits and navigating through the Canadian way of living. From finding a comfortable place to live to understanding the nuances of Canadian culture, there's a lot to learn and enjoy. 



Choosing the right accommodation plays a significant role in your student life experience. Here are the primary options:


1. On-Campus Residence

  • Advantages: Proximity to classes, libraries, and other facilities; great way to build friendships.

  • Cost: Varies widely depending on the university and type of accommodation, but ranges from CAD 8,000 to CAD 12,000 per academic year.


2. Off-Campus Housing

  • Shared Apartments: Living with other students or working professionals. This can be an affordable option, with rents ranging from CAD 500 to CAD 1,200 per month.

  • Single Apartments: A more private space, generally costing CAD 700 to CAD 1,500 per month.


3. Homestays


Living with a Canadian family can be a unique cultural experience. Costs usually range from CAD 600 to CAD 1,000 per month, often including meals.

Tip: Use university bulletin boards, websites like Kijiji, Craigslist, or dedicated student accommodation platforms to find housing.



Canada boasts an efficient and extensive public transportation system:


1. Buses and Trains

  • Most cities have a comprehensive bus network. Larger cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal also have metro or subway systems.

  • Many cities offer discounted student transit passes.


2. Bicycling

  • Many Canadian cities are bike-friendly, especially during the warmer months.


3. Driving

  • If you plan to drive, ensure you're familiar with Canadian driving regulations. International students can use their foreign driver's license for a short period, after which they may need to apply for a local one.



Adapting to Canadian culture is both exciting and enlightening:


1. Multiculturalism

  • Canada is incredibly diverse, and this multiculturalism is celebrated. You'll find a mix of traditions, foods, and festivals from all over the world.


2. Politeness

  • Canadians are often noted for their politeness. Don't be surprised by the frequent use of "please," "thank you," and "sorry."


3. Sports and Recreation

  • Ice hockey, lacrosse, and Canadian football are popular sports. Additionally, Canada's vast landscapes offer opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and kayaking.


4. Language

  • While English is predominantly spoken, French is also an official language, especially in Quebec.


5. Weather

  • Canadian winters can be cold, particularly in the northern regions. Ensure you're prepared with warm clothing.


Tips for a Smooth Transition

  1. Stay Connected: Engage in student groups and events to make friends and create a support system.

  2. Stay Informed: Familiarize yourself with local news and updates. This not only helps you stay informed but also aids in social conversations.

  3. Healthcare: Ensure you have health insurance, as medical care can be expensive without it. Most universities offer health plans for international students.

Living in Canada as an international student is a journey full of new experiences, learnings, and memories. While the initial transition might come with challenges, the welcoming nature of Canadians and the diverse multicultural environment make it a rewarding experience. Embrace the change, seek support when needed, and enjoy your Canadian adventure!

Health Insurance for International Students in Canada


Ensuring you have proper health coverage is paramount when studying abroad, and Canada is no exception. As an international student in Canada, it's essential to understand the health insurance landscape to make informed decisions about your health and well-being. 

Canada boasts one of the world's best healthcare systems. However, health coverage for international students varies from province to province. Some provinces provide health coverage under their provincial health care systems, while others require students to have private insurance.

Provincial Health Coverage


1. British Columbia (BC)

  • International students with study permits valid for six months or longer are eligible for the Medical Services Plan (MSP) after a waiting period (typically three months).


2. Alberta

  • International students and their dependents are covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) if the student's permit is valid for 12 months or more.


3. Manitoba

  • International students are eligible for the Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living if they hold a study permit valid for six months or longer.


4. Saskatchewan

  • Students with study permits valid for over six months can access the Saskatchewan Health Card.


5. Newfoundland and Labrador

  • Students with study permits valid for 12 months or more are covered.


6. Nova Scotia

  • Only international students enrolled in a program lasting a year or more are eligible for the Medical Services Insurance (MSI).


Note: Provinces like Ontario, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, and the Yukon do not provide provincial health coverage to international students. In these regions, students will need private insurance.


Private Health Insurance

For provinces that don't provide provincial health coverage or during waiting periods, international students must purchase private insurance. Most Canadian educational institutions offer group health insurance plans for international students, which are often mandatory unless the student provides proof of alternative coverage.


Key providers of private insurance include:


  • StudyInsured

  • Sun Life


Features to Consider When Buying Private Insurance:

  1. Coverage: Look at what's covered, e.g., doctor visits, hospital stays, prescription drugs, dental care, vision care, etc.

  2. Cost: Premiums, deductibles, and co-payments.

  3. Duration: Ensure it covers your entire study period.

  4. Claim Process: Check the process and timeline for making claims.

  5. Exclusions: Understand what isn't covered.


Tips for Using Your Health Insurance

  1. Always Carry Proof: Keep your health card or insurance certificate with you.

  2. Understand Your Coverage: Familiarize yourself with what's covered and the process of availing medical services.

  3. In Case of Private Insurance: Keep receipts of all medical services, as you'll need them for reimbursement claims.

Canadian Student Visa Extension: Renewal Process and Requirements


Studying in Canada offers enriching experiences both academically and culturally. However, sometimes, circumstances demand an extended stay beyond the original study permit duration, be it due to a prolonged academic program, a shift in courses, or unforeseen delays. 

Why Extend Your Study Permit?

Several scenarios can necessitate an extension:

  1. Course Extension: Your academic program might take longer than initially anticipated.

  2. New Program: You decide to pursue another degree or diploma.

  3. Post-Graduation: You wish to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and your current study permit will expire before your graduation.


When to Apply?

  • It's recommended to apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

  • Ensure you maintain a valid status in Canada. If you're late in applying, you'll have to apply for restoration of status, which has its own set of requirements and costs.


Key Requirements


While individual cases might differ slightly, the following are standard documents and information required:

  1. Valid Passport: Your passport should be valid for the entire duration of the extended stay.

  2. Letter of Explanation: Detail the reasons for the extension.

  3. Proof of Funds: Demonstrate you can support yourself (and any accompanying family members) for the extended duration. This includes tuition fees and living expenses (typically CAD 10,000 per year for a student).

  4. Enrollment Confirmation: A letter from your educational institution confirming your continued enrollment or admission into a new program.

  5. Transcripts: Academic transcripts showcasing your progress in the program.


Application Process

  1. Gather Documents: Ensure all documents are up-to-date, translated (if necessary), and scanned for electronic submission.

  2. Online Application: Use the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to fill out the IMM 5709 form for study permit extensions.

  3. Pay the Fee: As of the last update (2021), the fee is CAD 150. However, always check the current fee on the IRCC website.

  4. Submission and Wait: After submission, you might be requested additional documents or be called for an interview. The processing time can vary based on application volume, but the average duration is around 90 days.


After Applying

  • Interim Status: Once you've applied for an extension before the expiry of your current permit, you're on "implied status" until a decision is made on your application. This means you can continue to study and/or work (if eligible) under the conditions of your expired permit.

  • Decision: If approved, you'll receive a new Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction and an updated Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to re-enter Canada, if applicable.


In Case of Refusal


If your extension application is refused:

  1. Review the Reason: Understanding the reason for refusal can help you decide the next steps.

  2. Reapply or Seek Legal Counsel: If you believe there was an error or misunderstanding, you can either reapply by addressing the issues highlighted in the refusal or consult with an immigration lawyer or consultant for guidance.

Study in Canada without a Study Permit

Canada is a sought-after destination for international students, attracting individuals from around the world due to its top-notch education institutions, welcoming environment, and immense post-study opportunities. Typically, international students need a study permit to pursue their education in Canada. However, there are certain scenarios where one can study in Canada without this document. 

When is a Study Permit Not Required?

  1. Short-term Courses: If the duration of your course or program is six months or less, you don't require a study permit. This is beneficial for students looking to take short courses, workshops, or training sessions.

  2. Children Under Certain Ages: Depending on provincial regulations, minor children already in Canada (accompanying parents who are working or studying, for example) might not need a study permit to attend pre-school, primary, or in some cases, secondary school.

  3. Family or Staff of Foreign Representatives: If you're a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), you might not need a study permit.

  4. Members of Foreign Armed Forces: If you're a member of foreign armed forces in Canada on official duties, you don't need a study permit.

  5. Registered Indians: If you have Registered Indian status in Canada, even if you're a citizen of another country, you don't require a study permit.


Things to Consider


1. Visitor Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA):

While you may not need a study permit for short courses, you might still need a Visitor Visa or an eTA to enter Canada, depending on your nationality.


2. Duration Extensions:

If you're enrolled in a short-term course but decide to pursue a longer program, you'll need to apply for a study permit. It's recommended to do this before your course begins to avoid any legal complications.


3. Working On-Campus or Off-Campus:

Without a valid study permit, you won't be eligible for student work privileges. This means you cannot work on or off-campus.


4. Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP):

If you study without a study permit, that period will not count towards the length of the PGWP should you decide to apply after obtaining a study permit and completing a program.


How to Apply for Courses without a Study Permit

  1. Research Institutions: Start by researching Canadian institutions offering short courses or programs less than six months in duration.

  2. Apply for the Course: Once selected, apply directly to the institution. Once accepted, you'll receive a letter of acceptance, crucial for your visa or eTA application.

  3. Apply for a Visitor Visa or eTA: Depending on your country of origin, apply for either a Visitor Visa or eTA. Remember, even if you don't need a study permit, you must have legal status to enter and stay in Canada.

  4. Arrive and Study in Canada: After securing your visa or eTA, you can travel to Canada and commence your studies.

Student Direct Stream (SDS) for Canada


Canada, with its world-class educational institutions and inclusive policies, has become a hotspot for international students. To facilitate and expedite the process for students from certain countries, the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) introduced the Student Direct Stream (SDS). This program aims to process study permit applications more efficiently for qualified students. Here's a deep dive into the SDS and what prospective students should know.

Overview of Student Direct Stream


The SDS was launched to streamline the study permit application process for students from select countries, ensuring faster processing times. Initially rolled out for students from China, India, Vietnam, and the Philippines, the SDS program was later expanded to include students from Pakistan, Senegal, and Morocco.


Eligibility Criteria


To be eligible for SDS, students must meet specific requirements:

  1. Country of Citizenship: You must be a legal resident living in one of the SDS participating countries.

  2. Acceptance Letter: Have an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.

  3. Proof of Tuition Payment: Proof of the first year's tuition fee payment.

  4. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC): A minimum of CAD 10,000 deposit, which is essentially a proof of funds to support yourself during your stay.

  5. Medical Exam: Undergo a medical examination before submitting the application if required by regulations.

  6. Police Certificate: A clean police record supported by a certificate.

  7. Language Proficiency: Score of at least 6.0 in each skill (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) in IELTS or a score of 7 in Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) for French.


Application Process

  1. Gather Documents: Before applying, make sure to gather all the required documents. This includes the acceptance letter, proof of tuition fee payment, GIC, medical examination confirmation, police certificate, and language proficiency result.

  2. Online Application: Use the IRCC website to fill out the application. Ensure you're selecting the Student Direct Stream for your respective country.

  3. Pay Application Fee: As of the last update (2021), the fee for the study permit is CAD 150. Always check for the most current fee on the IRCC website.

  4. Wait for Decision: The goal for SDS is to process applications within 20 calendar days. However, if the application lacks any required documents or if an interview is deemed necessary, it might take longer.




Once your SDS application is approved:

  • You will receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction.

  • Depending on your country, you might also receive an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.


Remember to bring these documents, along with your passport, acceptance letter, and any other essential documents, when you travel to Canada.


Advantages of SDS

  1. Faster Processing Times: The primary benefit is quicker processing, ensuring students don't face prolonged uncertainty.

  2. Clear Requirements: The SDS provides a clear list of requirements, eliminating guesswork in the application process.

  3. Preparation for Future: By meeting the SDS's higher language requirements, students are better prepared for their academic journey and potential future immigration to Canada.

The Student Direct Stream stands as a testament to Canada's commitment to welcoming international students. By understanding the SDS's requirements and benefits, students from participating countries can embark on their Canadian educational journey with clarity and confidence.

Canadian Permanent Residency: Express Entry & Provincial Nominee Programs Post-Education


Canada's reputation as a global leader in higher education, combined with its welcoming stance on immigration, makes it a prime destination for international students. Graduating from Canadian institutions often leads students to consider permanent residency as a way to further their careers and lives in Canada.


Lets explores two prominent pathways to achieving this: the Express Entry system and the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).


Understanding Permanent Residency (PR)

Permanent Residency in Canada allows an individual to live, work, or study anywhere in the country, enjoying most of the same rights as Canadian citizens. PR holders can also apply for Canadian citizenship after fulfilling residency obligations.

Express Entry: A Quick Overview


Express Entry is a points-based immigration system that ranks candidates based on their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) scores. The CRS considers factors like age, work experience, education, and language proficiency.

Steps for Express Entry after Completing Education in Canada

  1. Profile Creation: Submit an Express Entry profile online. Only eligible candidates enter the Express Entry pool.

  2. Gather Points: As a recent graduate from a Canadian institution, you can earn additional points for Canadian education.

  3. Invitation to Apply (ITA): If your CRS score meets or surpasses the threshold set in periodic Express Entry draws, you receive an ITA.

  4. PR Application: Once you get an ITA, you have 90 days to submit your application for Permanent Residency.

Express Entry Programs Beneficial for Graduates


Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

PNPs allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and are interested in settling in a particular province.


Steps for PNP after Completing Education in Canada

  1. Choose a Province: Based on where you studied or where you wish to live.

  2. Apply for Nomination: Each province has its own PNP criteria. Many have streams specifically for students or recent graduates.

  3. Receive Nomination: If nominated, you receive additional CRS points (usually 600), significantly increasing your chances in the Express Entry pool.

  4. Apply for PR: After the province nominates you, apply for Permanent Residency through the Express Entry system.


Popular PNPs for Graduates

  • Ontario's International Student Stream: For graduates from Ontario's publicly-funded colleges and universities.

  • British Columbia International Graduate Stream: For individuals who have graduated from a BC institution in the last three years.

  • Alberta Opportunity Stream: For those who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution and have a valid Post-Graduation Work Permit.


Tips for Graduates

  1. Work Experience: Acquire Canadian work experience, possibly using the Post-Graduation Work Permit. It can significantly boost your CRS score or PNP eligibility.

  2. Language Proficiency: Improve your English or French language proficiency to score higher in both Express Entry and many PNPs.

  3. Continuous Learning: Consider further studies or professional certifications that might make you more valuable in the Canadian labor market.

Graduating from a Canadian institution opens the doors to numerous pathways leading to Canadian Permanent Residency. Both Express Entry and PNPs offer opportunities tailored for the unique position and value international graduates bring to Canada. Through diligent research, timely applications, and a commitment to adding value to Canadian society, PR can be an achievable dream for many international graduates.

Common Mistakes to Avoid When Applying for a Study Permit


Applying for a study permit is a crucial step in your journey to studying in Canada, and it's important to get it right. Here are some common mistakes to avoid:

  1. Incomplete or Incorrect Application: This is one of the most common reasons for application rejection. Ensure all sections of the form are completed accurately and all required documents are included.

  2. Insufficient Proof of Financial Support: You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada. Make sure your financial documents clearly show that you can cover your tuition, living expenses, and return transportation.

  3. Not Demonstrating Intent to Return Home: The study permit is a temporary visa, and you must convince the immigration officer that you will return home at the end of your studies. This can be demonstrated through ties to your home country such as family, property, or a job offer.

  4. Choosing the Wrong Designated Learning Institution (DLI): Not all schools in Canada are DLIs. Make sure the school you choose is on the list of DLIs.

  5. Not Checking Processing Times: Processing times can vary greatly depending on where you're applying from. Make sure to apply well in advance of your intended start date.

On what grounds can my study permit application to Canada be refused?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will in most cases provide applicants with a letter outlining the reasons for the refusal. 

Here are some of the main reasons why your application could be refused:

  1. Lack of ties to your country of residence 

  2. Education history

  3. Employment prospects in country of residence

  4. Financial insufficiency - insufficient proof of financial capacity to support yourself while studying in Canada;

  5. Inability to satisfy the reviewing officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay

  6. Inability to convince the immigration officer that your primary intent of coming to Canada is to study;

  7. pass the medical exam (if one is required);


How Can I avoid a Canadian Immigration Refusal?

Refusal or denial can be painful and stressful. Most people think that they know what they're doing and will do it right. Not all of them can actually claim that they will not make a mistake. Immigration applications to Canada are a 1-time opportunity. A mistake can lead to irreparable damage to your profile. Therefore, you may want to consider hiring a professional immigration consultant who has the knowledge and expertise in matters of Canadian immigration laws. 

Contact us now to connect with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

  • What are the Language Requirements for Express Entry to Canada?
    To be eligible for Express Entry, you must prove your English or French language ability: take an approved language test (IELTS - G or CELPIP-G) get the minimum results required by your program include the results when you complete your Express Entry profile First official language Minimum level for all four (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading) abilities English - CLB 7 French - NCLC7 Second official language: Minimum level of CLB or NCLC 5.
  • What is a Valid Job offer for Immigration to Canada?
    A valid job offer for Express Entry is one which is: full-time and non-seasonal, for at least one year, in a skilled job listed as Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B in the 2016 National Occupational Classification. is supported by a positive LMIA from the ESDC. A job offer must be in writing, and must set out details of the job they are offering you, such as: your pay and deductions your job duties conditions of employment, like your hours of work.
  • If i have a valid job offer, how many additional points do i get?"
    The points can range from an additional 50–200 points, depending on the type of job offer you receive.
  • Can i make changes to my Express Entry Profile?
    If your profile was found eligible for the pool, you can still update it after you’ve submitted it. On the other hand, if your profile is found ineligible, you won’t be able to make changes to your profile. You’ll have to create a new profile. Be sure to do so if your circumstances have changed and you now have enough points to qualify.
  • Do I need a job offer for Express Entry?
    You do not require a job offer for Express Entry. Additional points for job offers are only awarded to candidates who have a valid and positive LMIA based job offer from an approved Canadian employer. Simply having a job offer won't gain you any additional points. It needs to be LMIA approved.
  • What is the fee requirement to apply for Express Entry for Canada?
    Language tests: Average cost – $300 per test. Educational Credential Assessment (ECA): Average cost – $200 Biometrics: $85 per person Government fees: $1,325 per adult & $225 per child Medical examination fees: average cost – $450 per adult & $250 per child Police clearance certificates varies with country of residence. You need to provide police clearance certificates for all countries where you have resided for more than 6 months since turning 18 years of age.
  • How many points do I need to immigrate to Canada through express entry?
    You need to score a minimum of 67 points to be eligible to apply through the Express Entry system for permanent immigration to Canada.
  • What is the age limit to apply for permanent residence in Canada?
    There is no specific age limit requirement for any Canadian immigration program.If you are between 25-35 years of age, you score maximum points for that selection factor. Once you cross that age, you start to lose points in the selection factors.
  • Can I have 2 express entry profiles?
    No, you cannot have two Express Entry applications for the same applicant at the same time. However, if you are married, you can submit an application under your spouse if they are eligible.
  • Is ielts mandatory for spouse in express entry?
    A language test report for your spouse is a not mandatory requirement while submitting express entry application. However, your spouse's language skills can earn your additional points.
  • How long is my IELTS test result valid for Canadian immigration purposes?
    Your language test results are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. If your results expire before you submit your application, you should take the test again.
bottom of page