top of page
Federal Skilled Trades Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program for Permanent Residence

The FST is a permanent residence program for people with experience skilled trades. This program is perfect for applicants who have at least 2 years of skilled trades work experience in to apply and become permanent residents of Canada.

As part of the Express Entry System, FST is one of the 3 most popular programs based on the  Comprehensive Ranking System while applying for Permanent Residence in Canada.

What is the Federal Skilled Trades Program and who is it for?

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is the only program that allows people with experience in skilled trades to apply for a Canadian permanent residence. This is one of the 3 fast track immigration programs introduced by the Canadian government to meet the demands of labour shortages of the Canadian workforce in different skilled trades within Canada.

This Federal Skilled Trades Program is perfect for experienced tradespersons to immigrate to Canada permanently.

How does the Federal Skilled Trades Program work?


Skilled foreign nationals who meet the minimum requirements of the Federal Skilled Trades Program must submit an Express Entry profile to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Simply submitting an Express Entry profile does not guarantee that a foreign national will receive a Canadian permanent residence. Once you submit a profile for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will be awarded a Comprehensive Ranking System - CRS score. Selected candidates who qualify will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence for Canada through the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

What are the eligibility requirements for Federal Skilled Trades Class?

To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must meet the required language levels for each language ability (writing/reading/listening/speaking) for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. You must meet the minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark(CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 for reading and writing. The language test results need to be recognized by the government of Canada. Canada recognizes English and French as its 2 official languages.

  • You must have accumulated at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or equivalent part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program. All work experience (for which you are claiming points) must be paid for either as wages or commission earned. Any volunteer work or unpaid internships won’t be considered as work experience for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

  • You must prove that your skills and experience meet the job requirements for that skilled trade, except for needing a certificate of qualification, for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

  • You must have a valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal governing body for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. This certificate of qualification (COQ) must be obtained from a transference of qualifications exam written in Canada.

  • You must show enough proof of funds to demonstrate financial sustainability for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you have a valid job offer and can legally work in Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

What are the steps to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Class for Canada? 

Step 1: The first step is to check if you are eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program through Express Entry. Contact us and we will do it for you.

Step 2: Make sure that your trade is recognized for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.


Step 3: Ensure that you have at least 2 years of qualified work experience in that specific trade for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.


Step 4: Make sure that you have a valid job offer for at least 1 year from a Canadian employer or a certificate of qualification issued by a Canadian province or territory for the Federal Skilled Trades Program? You must have at least one of these in order to meet the criteria.


Step 5: Once you have established the fact that you qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you need to submit your profile to the IRCC.


Step 6: Receive an invitation and apply for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Trades Program. Pay the applicable fee and receive a CoPR if you get a positive decision from the assessing officer for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

What are the categories of occupations for the Federal Skilled Trades program? 

Eligible Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under the following groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

The major NOC groups for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

If you don’t show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, your application for the Federal Skilled Trades Program will be refused.

Can I apply under Federal Skilled Trades even if I do not have sufficient CRS points?


Based on the information you provide for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will be allotted points which will determine your rank in the Express Entry pool. Candidates with higher points are ranked higher and issued ITA's based on the overall cut-off score for the specified program.

Being eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, does not guarantee that you will receive an invitation to apply.

If you do not have enough points to make the cut-off for the Federal Skilled Trades Program there are factors that award you more points to improve your ranking. These are (but not limited to):

  • Previous education in Canada - Canadian degrees, diplomas or certificates

  • Prior work experience in Canada or a future (valid) job offer from a Canadian employer.

  • Relatives in Canada who are citizens or permanent residents.

  • A nomination from a province or territory, etc..

How long does it take to process Federal Skilled Trades applications?

Depending on your CRS score, eligible profiles are usually processed within 6 months. If IRCC invites you to apply, then you will have 60 days to submit an online application for permanent residency to Canada.

What are the funds requirement for Federal Skilled Trades Program?

You will need to provide proof of funds to show financial sustainability for you and your family unless:


  • You have a legal status to work in Canada, or

  • You have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.

Funds required for FSTP to Canada.png

On what grounds can my express entry application be refused or rejected?

All applications are based on the information you provided to the IRCC. The onus of proof of authenticity always lies on the applicant. If the immigration officer believes that you have provided incorrect information or have not submitted enough proof to verify your claims, they may ask for addition clarification or reject your application.

Here are some of the common reasons that your application might be rejected for:


If you do not meet the basic requirements of the program or category you applied for, your application may be denied.



This is considered a very serious offence with the IRCC. If an applicant is found misrepresenting on their application to immigrate to Canada, they can be deemed inadmissible to Canada. Common examples of misrepresentation are: 

  • Fake documentation - Education, work experience or any other illegitimate documents.

  • Inadmissibility of family members - If 1 or more of your family members are inadmissible to Canada, then you may be charged with misrepresentation and inadmissible.

  •  Marriage of Convenience - Fake marriages just to for Canadian immigration or failure to declare information about your spouse - like divorce, separation or custody of children etc.



Canada's health care system is considered one of the best in the world. And it is paid for by the government. Therefore, if during your medical exams, it is ascertained that your medical condition:

  • is going to affect the overall health of the Canadian citizens OR 

  • result in an excessive demand on the Canadian health care and social services.



This is self-explanatory. If you or any other member of your application or family has a criminal background for  which you have not already finished rehabilitation, your application will be denied. Every applicant has to submit a clean criminal record certificate for every country they have lived in for over 6 months since the day they turned 18. 



As part of the Visa application process for Canada, every applicant needs to submit proof of financial capability. Failure to do so will result in your application being refused. You need to show that you will be able to support all accompanying or non-accompanying family members as part of your immigration application.



Most applications for Canadian immigration are electronic, yet there are some that are paper based as well. If you are unable to provide the correct documents, complete documents or provide all documents in the time-frame specified, your application may be refused. It is advisable to include all documents provided in the document checklist for every application.



The Canadian immigration department receives thousands of applications for every program. In order to maintain efficiency in evaluation and outcome, it is important that applicants abide by the time lines provided in the application package. Failure to do so will result in delays of refusal. The best practice is to keep all your documents ready before you apply and submit your application for immigration to Canada.

How Can I Avoid a Canadian Immigration Refusal?

Refusal or denial can be painful and stressful. Most people think that they know what they're doing and will do it right. Not all of them can actually claim that they will not make a mistake. Immigration applications to Canada are a 1-time opportunity. A mistake can lead to irreparable damage to your profile. Therefore, you may want to consider hiring a professional immigration consultant who has the knowledge and expertise in matters of Canadian immigration laws. 

Contact us now to connect with our Regulated Canadian  Immigration Consultant (RCIC) now.

  • What are the Language Requirements for Express Entry to Canada?
    To be eligible for Express Entry, you must prove your English or French language ability: take an approved language test (IELTS - G or CELPIP-G) get the minimum results required by your program include the results when you complete your Express Entry profile First official language Minimum level for all four (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading) abilities English - CLB 7 French - NCLC7 Second official language: Minimum level of CLB or NCLC 5.
  • What is a Valid Job offer for Immigration to Canada?
    A valid job offer for Express Entry is one which is: full-time and non-seasonal, for at least one year, in a skilled job listed as Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B in the 2016 National Occupational Classification. is supported by a positive LMIA from the ESDC. A job offer must be in writing, and must set out details of the job they are offering you, such as: your pay and deductions your job duties conditions of employment, like your hours of work.
  • If i have a valid job offer, how many additional points do i get?"
    The points can range from an additional 50–200 points, depending on the type of job offer you receive.
  • Can i make changes to my Express Entry Profile?
    If your profile was found eligible for the pool, you can still update it after you’ve submitted it. On the other hand, if your profile is found ineligible, you won’t be able to make changes to your profile. You’ll have to create a new profile. Be sure to do so if your circumstances have changed and you now have enough points to qualify.
  • Do I need a job offer for Express Entry?
    You do not require a job offer for Express Entry. Additional points for job offers are only awarded to candidates who have a valid and positive LMIA based job offer from an approved Canadian employer. Simply having a job offer won't gain you any additional points. It needs to be LMIA approved.
  • What is the fee requirement to apply for Express Entry for Canada?
    Language tests: Average cost – $300 per test. Educational Credential Assessment (ECA): Average cost – $200 Biometrics: $85 per person Government fees: $1,325 per adult & $225 per child Medical examination fees: average cost – $450 per adult & $250 per child Police clearance certificates varies with country of residence. You need to provide police clearance certificates for all countries where you have resided for more than 6 months since turning 18 years of age.
  • How many points do I need to immigrate to Canada through express entry?
    You need to score a minimum of 67 points to be eligible to apply through the Express Entry system for permanent immigration to Canada.
  • What is the age limit to apply for permanent residence in Canada?
    There is no specific age limit requirement for any Canadian immigration program.If you are between 25-35 years of age, you score maximum points for that selection factor. Once you cross that age, you start to lose points in the selection factors.
  • Can I have 2 express entry profiles?
    No, you cannot have two Express Entry applications for the same applicant at the same time. However, if you are married, you can submit an application under your spouse if they are eligible.
  • Is ielts mandatory for spouse in express entry?
    A language test report for your spouse is a not mandatory requirement while submitting express entry application. However, your spouse's language skills can earn your additional points.
  • How long is my IELTS test result valid for Canadian immigration purposes?
    Your language test results are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. If your results expire before you submit your application, you should take the test again.
bottom of page