top of page
  • Writer's pictureImmergity Immigration

Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit

immergity immigration consultant - SEASONAL AGRICULTURAL WORK PERMIT
immergity immigration consultant - SEASONAL AGRICULTURAL WORK PERMIT

What is it Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit?

When Canadian citizens or permanent residents are unavailable, the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP) enables employers to hire temporary foreign employees.

SAWP was developed by the Canadian government to enable seasonal agricultural migration between Jamaica and Canada. The initiative was then expanded to include Mexico and other Caribbean countries. It was the country's first temporary employment program.

How Does the Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit work?

The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is required in the first application for this

program, which is part of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). Employers can engage temporary foreign workers from the list of participating countries for up to 8 months between January 1 and December 15, as long as they can deliver at least 240 hours of labour in fewer than 6 weeks.

The employment must be on a farm or otherwise connected to primary agriculture, and the production must be in certain commodities fields. Workers must be at least 18 years old, a citizen of one of the participating nations, have farming experience, and be able to comply with both Canadian and foreign immigration regulations. To move employers, participants do not require a new work permit as long as the new company has a valid LMIA.

Who is eligible to apply for the Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit?

You're a citizen of a participating nation, your government hired you, and you'll be working for SAWP employers in Canada.

How to Apply for the Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit?

Each foreign government has its own method of recruiting and selecting employees. Your government will ensure that you have all the required documentation and are qualified for the program.

Paying your Fees

Your fees and payment choices are determined on where you apply. It's possible that you'll have to pay for biometrics as well.

Working with Several Companies

While in Canada, you may be invited to work on more than one farm. Each employer does not require a new work visa. It is important to note that you cannot be requested to work for a different employer without your permission.

Other Agricultural Workers

Your work permit will be unique to your employer. This implies that you are only permitted to work for the employer listed on your work permit.

Before you apply:

  1. Your employer must have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA is a Service Canada document that authorizes a company to hire a foreign worker under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

  2. Your company is required to provide you with a copy of the positive LMIA, as well as your employment offer letter or contract.

How to Apply for the Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit? 

Obtain the paperwork and documentation required to apply for a work permit.

Working with Several Companies - If you want to work for employers other than those mentioned on your work permit, you must apply for a new work permit. We urge that you do this as soon as you arrive in Canada.

You can only work for one employer at a time, and you can't change jobs until you get your new work visa (s).

Follow these procedures to apply for your new permit(s):

1. Get the application bundle.

2. Fill out a separate paper application for each new employment.

3. All applications and supporting materials should be sent in the same envelope.

Want to know more about how to get a study permit for Canada?

Immergity Immigration Inc. is always happy to help with any queries and is available to

help you through this exciting time period of immigrating. For more information feel free to drop us an email at or you can Call/WhatsApp us at +1.416.897.6664.

9 views0 comments


bottom of page